Monday, February 5, 2018

Welcome to I Have You Now, the opinionated Armada blog

Dodonna's Pride and Salvation vs. Warlord and Dominator

Welcome to my new Star Wars: Armada blog!

Me in this case is Green Knight from the FFG forums. In the dreary realm of IRL my name is Bjørn Blom Sørgjerd, and I come from the small city of Trondheim, Norway. In case you don't know where Norway is, I suggest looking it up on Google.

I'm old enough to have been playing games for a very long time. Computer games (my first computer was a Commodore 64, with data cassette I/O device), roleplaying games (Red Box Edition of DnD was my first true RPG, but before that Fighting Fantasy books), and of course a variety of board games (I was never satisfied with the kind of "family board games" we had back in the 80s). My very first brush (pun intended) with a miniatures game was Warhammer 40000: Rogue Trader. It's a game that was released in 1987, but I think it turned '89 before I picked it up.

I've been playing Star Wars: Armada since 2015. My Best Gaming Buddy Forever (BGGF) showed me the Core game and walked me through an intro game. We got some of the rules wrong, the Victory-class SD seemed impossible to kill, and squadrons appeared next to useless. But I was still intrigued, more than I ever was by X-wing. So not long after I went and got myself a Core set. Then I got hold of some Wave 1 expansions. And a second Core set. And extra dice. An additional maneuver tool. You see where this is going?

Like I mentioned previously, I live in a small city, and out Armada community is small. Maybe we could muster 10 people, if everyone turned up, but that rarely happens. IIRC our record is 9 players, for the 2017 Store Championship. The closest other community is Østersund (Sweden), which is a 3+ hour drive. An acceptable distance, a couple of times a year, but too far for casual games.

Consequently I was "forced" to play a lot on Vassal from the beginning, and I continue to do so. I was actually the Vassal module dev for a long time, but I've handed the responsibility over to Josiah Burkhardsmeier (aka. JJs Juggernaut), the winner of SW: Armada at Worlds 2016 and his sterling dev team.

IRL my peak performance is taking home Nordics (Nationals) in October 2017. I will attend Euros 2018. I'd really, really like to go to Worlds 2018 as well, but travelling all the way to the US to play with my minis. I think I have to be realistic and say that's probably definitely not happening.

Keep in mind that these are my opinions, not facts, even if I write it in a way that seems to imply just that. I should also note that while I play both factions, I play more Empire than Rebellion. Mostly because Giant Space Triangles... because... it's just more fun, that's all.

For content I'll be posting stuff that includes (but not limited to):
  • expansion packs
  • upgrades/ships/squadrons
  • List building
  • meta discussions
  • AARs
  • online play
  • campaign blog from Corellian Conflict
  • links to other blogs/YouTube channels
  • and more

We cannot be defeated

No comments:

Post a Comment